The mind has profound effects on physiological functioning and health. Emotional distress causes physiological stress and dysfunction, which, when chronic, eventuates in disease. In this discussion, we also address the healthy physiological effects of mind training. The concepts of self-efficacy and mastery are described. The term “mastery” is used to describe a sense that we can handle the challenges that life throws at us. Wellbeing is the good feeling that results from living with mastery. Herbert Benson and Ellen Langer of Harvard are referenced, as is Deepak Chopra, of the Chopra Center.
Video: How the Mind Affects Health
October 24, 2012 at 9:00 am
- Video: You Are What You Practice
- Video: Meaning and Purpose to Your Life
- Video: Ships Are Safe In The Harbor But They Are Built To Sail The World
- Video: The Importance of Being Open and Vulnerable
- Q & A with Dr. B. – You have written about practice being a way of life—something to practice throughout the day. What are the main practices that encompass this way of life?
- Authenticity, Transparency
- Body Centeredness
- Cancer and the Mind
- Chronic Illness and the Mind
- Gratitude and Well-Being
- In Your Own Hands
- Living by Personal Values
- Meaning and Purpose in Health
- Mindfulness Practice
- Practice is Everything
- Practice Living by Choice
- Q&A Ask Dr. B.
- Self-Efficacy and Self-Mastery
- Social Support and Contributing Member of a Community