This is an introduction to the 26-part series on how to live better with chronic illness. The concept of mindfulness-based mastery & wellbeing practices is introduced. Mindfulness practice is described as the fundament of mastery & wellbeing practices, because it is what allows us to be self-aware, which is an a priori requirement to everything that follows. The connection between health and healthy relationships is described, and viewers are encouraged to do everything possible to improve the quality of their relationships; this is because emotional distress in our relationships negatively impacts health. The connection between health and seeking meaning and purpose is emphasized. Other mindfulness-based mastery & wellbeing practices are encouraged, such as engaging in a formal gratitude practice. The connection between authentic self-expression and health is introduced, and viewers are encouraged to take risks in expressing their true feelings. This work evolved out of the research by Martin Seligman, George Vaillant, Sonja Lyubomirsky, Daniel Goleman, and many others.
Video: Mindfulness-Based Mastery & Wellbeing Series Introduction
October 17, 2012 at 9:00 am
- Q & A with Dr. B. – You have written about practice being a way of life—something to practice throughout the day. What are the main practices that encompass this way of life?
- Q & A with Dr. B. – Why The Focus On Practices?
- Q & A with Dr. B. – Do the mindfulness practices, especially the MBEP walking practice, ever become more natural?
- Q & A with Dr. B. – Would you be able to give us more detailed MBEP instructions?
- Authenticity, Transparency
- Body Centeredness
- Cancer and the Mind
- Chronic Illness and the Mind
- Gratitude and Well-Being
- In Your Own Hands
- Living by Personal Values
- Meaning and Purpose in Health
- Mindfulness Practice
- Practice is Everything
- Practice Living by Choice
- Q&A Ask Dr. B.
- Self-Efficacy and Self-Mastery
- Social Support and Contributing Member of a Community